Taking the time to get to know God by his names allows us to learn about his character and how powerful or awesome creator truly is, studying Him leads to more revelation.
The Bible includes many names of God. His names, and what do they tell us a great deal about our Creator? They also help us to understand Him.
Looking back in scripture at how often God changed someone’s name to reflect their new reality should be a clue how important names are. Abram, meaning “exalted father,” was changed to Abraham, meaning “father of a multitude.” Remember Jacob, his name meant “grabber of the heel” as well as “deceitful,” was renamed Israel, meaning “one who prevails” after he wrestled with God.
Also think back to Exodus 3:13 when God instructed Moses to go to the King of Egypt and demand that he let the Israelites go, Moses asked,
‘Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, “The God of your fathers has sent me to you,” and they say to me, “What is His name?” what shall I say to them?’”.
At that time God gave Moses one of His many names: “God said to Moses,
‘I AM WHO I AM.’ And He said, ‘Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, “I AM has sent me to you”’”.
- ADONAI – The Lord / My Great Lord – Pronounced: ah-doe-NI
- EL – The Strong One – Pronounced: el
- EL ELOHE YISRAEL – God, The God of Israel – Pronounced: el el-oHay yis-raw-ALE
- EL ELYON – The God Most High – Pronounced: el EL-yuhn
- ELOHIM – The All-Powerful One / Creator – Pronounced: el-o-HEEM
- EL OLAM – The Eternal God / The Everlasting God – Pronounced: el o-LAHM
- EL ROI – The God Who Sees Me – Pronounced: el ROY
- EL SHADDAI – The All Sufficient One, The God of the Mountains, God Almighty – Pronounced: el-shaw-DIE
- IMMANUEL – God With Us / “I AM” – Pronounced: ih-MAN-u-el
- JEHOVAH – “I AM,” The One Who is The Self-Existent One – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah
- JEHOVAH-JIREH – The Lord will Provide – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah JI-rah
- JEHOVAH-MEKADDISHKEM – The Lord Who Sanctifies – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah mek-KAH-dish-KIM
- JEHOVAH-NISSI – The Lord Is My Banner – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah NEE-see
- JEHOVAH-RAPHA – The Lord Who Heals – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah RAH-fah
- JEHOVAH-ROHI – The Lord Is My Shepherd – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah RO-hee
- JEHOVAH SABAOTH – The Lord of Hosts / The Lord of Armies – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah sah-bah-OATH
- JEHOVAH SHALOM – The Lord Is Peace – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah shah-LOME
- JEHOVAH – SHAMMAH – The Lord Is There / The Lord My Companion – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah SHAHM-mah
- JEHOVAH – TISIKENU – The Lord Our Righteousness – Pronounced: juh-HO-vah tsid-KAY-noo
- YAH, OR JAH – “I AM” – “I AM,” The One Who Is The Self-Existent One – Pronounced: Yah
- YHWH – “I AM” – “I AM,” The One Who Is The Self-Existent One – Some biblical scholars say YHWH was most likely pronounced Yahweh – Pronounced: YAH-way
Other Names of God
Finally, some Quakers refer to God as The Light. Also used is King of Kings or Lord of Lords and Lord of the Hosts. Other names used by Christians include Ancient of Days, Father/Abba, (Most High).
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST? Then…Sign up for updates and never miss a blog post.